Sunday, March 2, 2014

Training

Posted by Jamie:
 Earlier this week I came across these verses: 

Hebrews 12:11-13 -Discipline leads to Fruit
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.
                                               1 Timothy 4:8 - - Training and Godliness
for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
As I've reflected on these passages this week, I've been reminded how much discipline it has taken to get me to the place I am with my running. And that with continued discipline I can achieve even more but it has also reminded me that while physical discipline is important for my physical health; I also need to keep up with my spiritual disciplines. I keep thinking how amazing it is that I can train my body to run these long distances in the heat and humidity and not feel like I'm going to die! How is it that this training has become easy to keep up but my spiritual life is easily discarded at times? I have concluded that it is all about priorities. I have made running a priority and it has become a habit. This is my challenge for myself for the next six weeks as I finish up my training for the London marathon; put as much time into my spiritual life as I do my physical life.
Here is a glimpse into what we are doing for our physical training:
Most days training runs are done here on the ELWA campus. It's convenient, safe and has lovely scenery. Hard to beat running along a beautiful tropical beach. I especially love being able get up early, walk out my front door before it gets overly hot and get my run done. There is one major draw back when it comes to the long runs though. If I do a figure eight around the campus road it is about 1.75 miles. So, as you can imagine after a few laps it gets a bit monotonous! In an effort to change things up we decided to take our long Sunday training runs out to the road to Marshall. It is currently a dirt road that they are working on improving. For now the dirt road provides the benefit of being flat, fairly long and a bit more forgiving then the pavement. This is the third Sunday we've run the road. The first Sunday was great because it rained the night before and knocked down all the dust. Today we were not so lucky...
Just some small dust after a car went speeding by.
Many thanks to Bev for letting me use her Camelbak so I stay hydrated!
Joni and Bev synchronized running. 

Some interesting sights along the way.

Just finishing up my 12 miles.

Done!
Handmade construction sign :)
           Joni finishing up her 16 miles!  

We were missing Kendell today, who was up country and had to run solo this week. Please remember us in your prayers this week as we continue to up our miles. The heat and humidity can really take it's toll as can injury.
Remember we are doing all of this to raise money for SP Liberia's ELWA hospital project and it's Church Mobilization Program (CMP). Please read our previous posts for more information on these projects and consider donating! Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are from the UK, my fundraising page address is:
www.virginmoneygiving.com/JamieLaird 

If you are from the US/Canada, my fundraising page address is:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jamielaird/londonmarathon

No comments:

Post a Comment